The Bowflex Body Plan,
by fitness expert Ellington Darden, is a solid 300 pages. The book is divided
into five parts (more details on the sections below).
Overall, I definitely recommend the book.
It's a big hardback with heft, lots of information inside. In fact, it's even worth reading if
you're not a Bowflex owner, and you're just looking for a good reference for fitness and nutrition
information. The Bowflex Body Plan does a good job breaking down the scientific stuff into understandable
terms. For us Bowflex folks, though, there's the bonus of a section devoted to Bowflex exercises.
Part 1 Background
This section starts with a brief background and technology of the
Bowflex, and an introduction to The Bowflex Body Plan (which refers to the program and not just the book).
- The Power is Yours: Get Real Results!
- From Creation to Credibility: The Facts about Who, When, & Why
- The Components of a Fit Body: Endurance, Flexibility, Strength, & Leanness--Which is the Most Important?
- The Gym Explosion: There's No Place like Home
Part 2 Exercises
This section talks about the exercises you can do on your Bowflex,
including form and training tips. They don't talk about every possible exercise, but they focused on
about twenty five key exercises. I liked the way each exercise got a page to itself, and there
were photographs showing both the starting position and the mid-point of the action.
- Strength-Training Basics: Repetitions, Intensity, & Form
- Lower-Body Exercises: For Performance & Appearance
- Back, Chest, & Shoulder Exercises: What's Best for the Torso
- Arm & Abdominal Exercises: For Strength & Muscularity
- Basic Training: Routines for Beginners & Intermediates
- Advanced Techniques: Breakdowns, Double Pre-Exhaustion, & Negatives
Part 3 Science
This section of The Bowflex Body Plan tells you what
you need to know about fat, muscles, and metabolism. It clears up the difference between slow
and fast twitch muscle fibers, why our bodies want to store fat, and the right way to lose fat
while gaining muscle. Chapters include:
- Muscle: Hard to Get, Easy to Lose
- Fat: Easy to Get, Hard to Lose
- Thermodynamics: Something Old & Something New
- Fat-Loss Nutrition: Fundamentals, Simplicity, & Details
- Food Supplements: Concepts to Consider
- Superhydration: A Supercharged Practice
- Sleep: A Wake-Up Call
- Synergy: 1 + 1 + 1 = 5
Part 4 Programs
The Bowflex programs section offers a number of routines,
each with a different focus, that should be helpful even to the experienced Bowflex user.
- Preparation: What to Do First
- The Body-Leanness Plan: A Six-Week Course for Losing Fat
- The Hard-Body Challenge: A Six-Week, Get-Ripped Course for Athletes
- Hips & Thighs--Tackling the Tough Spots: A Six-Week Lower-Body Course for Women
- Abdominal Focus: A Six-Week Course for a Flatter Stomach
- A Thicker Chest: A Two-Week Blitz for Pumped Pectorals
- Accent on Arms: A Two-Week Blitz for Bigger Biceps & Triceps
Part 5 Persistence
This last section gives you some tips
for staying motivated and breaking through to the next level. Chapters include:
- Those Last 5 Pounds: 30 Tips on How To Lose Them
- More Progress: A Few Twists for Continued Success
- Maintenance: Modifying Key Factors
- Questions, Please: Up-To-Date Answers to Prevalent Problems
- A Prescription for Life: The Power is Yours--Today, Tomorrow, & Forever!